Priming the external canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ochana25

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey every I accidentally just down my external canister. And now I can't get it to prime any advice it's a api

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fill it half way with water , run for 30 sec and then power off , water from the tank should siphon into the canister and prime it

Can u break it down bit better cause that's what I'm doing and it will start for split second then stop again

Umm it's setup properly to run there's one valve that cuts it off but it's not it's open so the water can flow through

There might be air in the canister and it can take a little bit if time for it to expell the air.

Api filstar

Fill the canister completely up. It will take off then. I do this with mine when I clean them.

Unplug the filter and pull up on the lever where the hoses connect to the canister. Then unscrew the lid on top of the intake hose. Fill the intake hose with water using the funnel that came with your filter. Replace the cap and push down on the lever. At this point, the filter should prime. Wait for it to expel the air (about a minute). Plug it in and you should be good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Should I make sure the canister is full to I tried exactly what u said and I though it started for a min but didn't then I noticed the canister wasn't totally full

Should I make sure the canister is full to I tried exactly what u said and I though it started for a min but didn't then I noticed the canister wasn't totally full

No, you do not need to fill the canister. It actually primes more easily when it is empty. If you are having trouble, empty out all the water and repeat the process again.

Should I empty out the canister step then I still can't get it to go does it matter if the lines are to long I never cut mine down

Should I empty out the canister step then I still can't get it to go does it matter if the lines are to long I never cut mine down

Yes, it does matter if the hoses are too long.

OK I'll cut them down and try again will post update

End result I didn't cut them down but I disconnected. The shut off valve filled the lines till they filled then emptied canister. Of. Water connected the valve and it filled the canister once it started coming out the return plugged it in and it started perfectly

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got it working!

Thanks was getting really worried there lol

Back
Top Bottom