Prizm Deluxe Skimmer--Help ME!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kurt99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know I shouldnt have bought the Prizm, but as we all know, hindsight is 20/20. So for now I am stuck with it. My problem is that everytime I get it going it either fills up the collection box way too fast or I will think that it is running ok and then 5 minutes later it is not even pumping up water anymore and then I have to restart it again. What am I doing wrong??

I think I tried about 10 times last night to get it going with no success. Also, when I do get it going for a few minutes it seems like it puts out way too many micro bubbles.

Help please?????

I too have the prizm skimmer, I too had noting but problem with it, until the handyman in me decided to make some modifications to it. I took the air hose that goes from the "plug" on the collection cup and put a inline air valve on it and left it hanging off the side of the tank. Then I took a 6 inch long piece of air hose and put it back onto the plug on the collection cup, just incase the cup fillus up too fast the water can return to the tank through that hose and stay off of my floor.

I think this works becasue there is too much air being mixed with the water on the prizm. That's what makes it hard to adjust, you can't tweak the water flow or the air being added without affecting the other. First I adjust the flow so that the water sit's just below the level of the o-ring on the bottm of the collection cup with 0 air being added. Once this level is stable for 5 or 10 minutes I slowly start ot open the air valve until there is slow and steady stream of white bubbles, skim, coming out of the top into the cup.

I've never been able to get the dark skim that others talk about, but I'm not sure if it's possible with this skimmer or not. I empty my collection cup about once a week and there's probably a 1 or 2 cups of light colored skim. Hope this helps

I dont know if I am that handy, but I have to do something or I will go crazy!!!

Any other suggestions besides forking out a couple hundred bucks for the Remora??????

I used to have one too until I introduced it to a hammer. The only way I ever got mine to work was to slow down the waterflow to where it's just barely trickling in. I was able to get some of the good thick dark skim this way, but I don't know if it was even worth it because I had it turned down so low that it took 2 weeks to collect anything significant.

I used the "Petey" method too and tried using the inline air valve. That seems to held a little bit. Prizm skimmers suck.

Back
Top Bottom