Pro Heat II Heater Failures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just writing to vent my frustration, and possibly warn others.

i've had my 55 gal SW tank up for a little over 2 years... the whole time, i have run 2 150 watt won pro heat ii heaters. a little over 1 year after starting, both of the heaters decided to fail. slowly, the temperature display drifted higher and higher, well over 100 degrees. thankfully, they fail in the off position.

i replaced these with 2 new 150 watt won pro heat ii heaters. yeah, you would have thought i learned my lesson. anyway, fast forward to this week (about 1 year after the last set was replaced). currently, one of the heater displays is starting to drift up again. again, it has failed off, so i dont have to worry about it turning on. im pretty much waiting for the other one to fail.

i saw one other post on this topic from about a year ago. is this a common theme for these heaters? they seem to just fail after a year of operation. as i've stated, i've personnally had 3 of my 4 heaters fail within the last 2+ years.

im gonna try some visi-therm stealth heaters and see how they work out. i have a visi-therm deluxe in my water change bucket, and it has yet to fail. granted, i only run it when i make water, but it seems to be a more reliable heater.

thoughts, anyone?

~mike

Almost every review site either raves or hates these heaters. I've had one for 2 years now as a back up for heating my SW (before I got the Mag 9.5 pump which heats it) and I guess I got lucky due to infrequent use.

I've heard plenty of good things about the visi-therm stealth heaters but to be honest I've never had 100% satisfaction with any heater over the decades of keeping fish :(

They always "drift" slightly and it seems like I have to adjust up/down about once or twice a month. So far it's never been more than a 4 degree drift in temperature and my stock hasn't suffered but is it really that hard to get a heater that doesn't "drift"

I use the finnex digital thermometers and so far they have been great. If the power fails, they come back on set at 80.

Like this one? Looks pretty good, guess I'll be buying a new heater.

How long have you been using it?

I've had them in my 55G for about 1 year. I got mine from premiumaquatics.com. Linked from this site....nudge...
One thing, you can hear the lights click on and off.

Back
Top Bottom