Problem turning on my T-8 lights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty-Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my problem. I have 4 36" T-8 lights for my tank. When I turn my lights on, they don't come on. I have to twist and mess with the bulbs to get them to turn on.

I cleaned the connectors on the bulbs and the sockets. I have 2 lights going to 1 ballests(spelling) and the other 2 lights going to another. Both sets of lights do the samething.

Once in a blue moon will the lights come on by themselves after I turn them on. The lights are also about 2 months old but they have done this since day one.

Could it be my ballests(spelling)? Could it be my T-8 connectors?

I would guess it's the connectors, rather than the ballasts. I'd try to buy a set of connectors at lowes first, and see if that works. If it does, it saves you from buying the much more expensive ballasts.

It almost has to be the connectors. If the come on after you move the bulbs around then that`s what the problem is.

I would guess it's the connectors, rather than the ballasts. I'd try to buy a set of connectors at lowes first, and see if that works. If it does, it saves you from buying the much more expensive ballasts.

It almost has to be the connectors. If the come on after you move the bulbs around then that`s what the problem is.

Okay, here is what I am using right now (pictured below)

21ne7px.jpg

Here is what the person I bought this tank from gave me as a back-up set. (Pictured below)

msdid.jpg

35kil1t.jpg

I have no clue what this 2nd set is. It comes with 3 ballests though (spelling again).

I would use the backup ones they are the splash proof fittings,the ones your using are standard fittings you'll find in your office lights

Okay, my next question is do these fixtures have a positive and negative wire? If so, how do I know which is which?

I'm pretty sure there are wiring diagrams on the ballasts, however I'm also pretty sure it doesn't matter which way around you connect the wires on each end. As long as you have two of the same color going to each side you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom