Problem with Fluval 304...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westward13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could shed some light as to what I'm experiencing with my Fluval 304. I've done 2 water changes within the past week and each time I'm done and hook the filter back up and then turn it back on, it spits white filmy stuff into my tank which makes a mess of the water. Within an hour, it's all fallen to the bottom and dissipated or it's been sucked back into the filter. I unhooked the filter and changed the activated carbon, emptied out the water and checked the other media bins to make sure it wasn't anything coming from those(I have ceramic in the 2ndary and have left my tertiary media bins empty). I didn't remove or check the foam screen frame that's next to the media bins but will make sure to do so the next time I do a water change. Does anyone know what this could be and/or how I can fix it?

It is just crap that grows on the inside of the hoses. if you want proof, with your filter running pinch the outlet hose with your finger and let it go quickly. A bunch of white junk will probably go shooting into the tank. The stuff is not bad, just kinda nasty when it goes flying around in the tank.

Why are you unplugging your filter to do water changes? Just leave it running...

Won't that keep splashing and make a mess? When I do a 25-30% water change, the water level is probably a good 4-6 inches from the water jet on my fluval and the water outputs on my pengiun biowheel 330.

I'm glad that white stuff isn't anything bad. Since it's inside the hoses, I imagine there's nothing I can do about it, then(other than replacing the hoses which doesn't seem necessary)?

Yeah its definitely nothing to worry about, I also have the 304 and it just is something that happens. I'm not positive but I think when you disconnect the filter to clean it there is no water in the hose so the stuff kinda like drys up and then when you turn it back on it shoots out. I just try to net it or just let it settle, sometimes the fish will eat it so it can't be harmful.

Won't that keep splashing and make a mess? When I do a 25-30% water change, the water level is probably a good 4-6 inches from the water jet on my fluval and the water outputs on my pengiun biowheel 330.
Sure stuff splashes around a lot, but it all happens in the tank, which is obviously designed to hold water so no big deal. No mess gets made unless you manage to do something weird. I found this pick of my tank with the water down about 8 inches, the Eheim canister and my AC200 are going full speed:

lowerlevel.jpg

My Fluval 304 also spit the white stuff everytimes i reconnect the filter. I just put the fish net at the outlet b4 switching on the filter again to reduce the white stuff been spit back to the tank.
HTH

I turn mine off when I do a change as well. I'd leave it on, but the position of the nozzle splashes water out of the tank while I am cleaning/siphoning water. If it stayed in the tank it wouldn't be bad, but it's a lot less time consuming for me to turn it off while doing water changes.

I've never noticed any white stuff coming out of mine, but I've only had this filter for about 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom