Problem with my Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a Filstar XP3 about a week ago(on-line). It has been giving me some problems. Air keeps getting into the canister. I tried so many different things, but nothing seems to work. I checked the gaskets, they seem to be in place. I checked for leaks of any kind, I found none.
When I prime the filter I usually fill it half way first then follow the directions. When it is done priming the canister is totally full of water. But after 3-4 hours I notice some air space in the canister. Then after a day there is about 5-6 inches of air space. If I just leave it, so much air would be in the filter that it starts making a swooshing sound.
On another forum someone told me to put the filter on its side while it was running. When I did this air came out of the "head", the part where the tubings are connected. Is this normal or are filter suppose to be "totally" air tight?
Besides this problem, the filter seems to be doing a good job with my tank. Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have no experence with this filter but I have just tried to get some info off the web and must say that there is not much out there.

On some of the photos I saw it looks like the uptake tube has some kind of knob on the top of it. Is this some kind of fill knob where you add water to start a syphon?

If the unit is still new and is not air tight I think your best bet wouild be contacting the place you purchased the filter from and request a replacment filter since your is collecting air some how.

thanks...

thanks for the reply......and yes the knob on the top of the uptake tube is for priming.

Back
Top Bottom