Problem with overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Over time micro bubbles accumulate at the top of my siphon tube for my hang on overflow box which means I have to re prime it every so often. Forgetting to do this could mean a flood. I have tried covering the inflow part of the tube on the tank side with a bit of sponge but this seems to limit flow and starts filling up the main tank.

Can I attach a PH rated for less GPH than the return PH in the sump on sump side of the siphon tube in the over flow box to eliminate this problem?

There are not a great deal of micro bubbles in the tank but what there is of them seem to end up in the overflow box and then of course the siphon tube :cry:

I have a float switch in the sump to my 65 (non-RR) that is there to prevent any unexpected loss of prime on my overflow. Definitely a great safe second. I think you could also get an aqualifter pump that is designed to come on and suck out the air but I don't have one and don't really know what that entails. With the float switch I have the peace of mind I need so I haven't worried about the aqualifter. That's my hubby's job, lol!

Sounds like the flow is not fast enough for the overflow you have. What size pump do you have in your sump and do you know the capacity of your overflow?

I had the same problem. I have a different overflow box than you I believe. The siphon is built into the box, like a U shape siphon. There is an air nipple at the top of it that I have connected a water lifter. But the air was building up in the back of the siphon and causing the water to flow much slower and the tank would gradualy fill up. I tilted the overflow to allow the air to bubble up around the nipple and now I haven't had a problem since.

I would say buy an air lifter pump for like $12 online. They pump 3.5 gph and they keep my siphon primed. I have also heard of people hooking up powerheads to their siphons. If you just run some air tubing up the siphion to connect the pump or ph Here is a link to what I am talking about http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

I seemed to have solved the problem by adding a elbow to my siphon tube on the tank side. When it was straight any bubbles where able to head straight up the tube. The elbow seems to have alleviate this so far.

I also think I need a stronger pump as you said fish freak. Right now I only have 175 gph ph for return. The OFB is small/used so I assume its probably rated somewhere around 300 gph. As of now all I am really doing is expanding capacity a bit into a 30g from my main 75g and giving myself a place for the protein skimmer and some extra filtration.

Hopefully funds will become available to do the job right in the not so distant future but this is serving to get my feet wet....literally :lol: Thank god for ceramic tile floors.

Thanks for your replys and any added suggestions are always welcome.

i not only got a 2nd overflow box but have 2 U tubes in my overflows incase this happens....I have one overflow that this keeps happening to one of the U tubes....

Back
Top Bottom