Problem With Tank Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was filling my tank up today, on my regular sized 3 drawer dresser. the only problem is i dont know if it can hold a 40 gallon tank. i got it about 35 gallons done, then i thought that it would be to much weight. so i emptied it. what do you think. thanks

A full 40 gallon glass aquarium weighs over 450lbs. I doubt any dresser IMO could stand this kind of weight over time. It may work for a while but then.....
If it were me I would invest in a stand. Even the "cheap" stands are probably more suited to hold that weight than your dresser.

Indeed I would say a 40 gal is to much for a dresser unless its built out of 2X6's and 5/8" plywood.

A 20 gal would be about the limit for a good sturdy dresser.

Gotta agree here. Most dressers these days are made out of cheap particle board. Get it wet and see what happens. CRRRRRRACCCCKKK!!! Boom!
SPLASH! (Insert your choice of expletives and filth strings here...)

what about an iron stand that i found for my tank. its used and needs a little sanding and then some color added to make it look good. but its only for $35 since its used. will that work?

One suggestion on the iron stand (which is great by the way). Use a piece of foam insulation between the tank and the stand. this will even out any slight leveling problems and relieve any potential stress points. HTH

Back
Top Bottom