Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-23-2003, 06:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
problems with Fluval 4 plus internal filter

Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has had experience with or has knowledge of Fluval 4 plus Internal filters (or a similar problem).

I have recently set up a 50g planted tank (which was great fun and looks really good ). I have always had an UGF in previous tanks but had never had a lot of success with plants. So decided to go for an internal filter with my new set up.

The filter has been in my tank for approx 4 weeks and was really quiet for the first few days then for some reason began to make a rattling or vibrating noise when on the lowest setting. However, when you up the filtration flow a notch (it has 4 speeds) the noise disappears until you lower the setting again. This is all fine but these flow settings are a little fast for the fish I currently have in the tank or at least they seem to prefer it on a lower setting.

I took the filter back to the shop yesterday who replaced it for me but this new one does the same thing . I can't contact the company who makes the filter until Monday but was wondering if this is normal or is it a fault with fluval systems etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Tank stats: 50 g planted (several types of swords, cryps, and vallis, lilly, indian fern, java fern and java moss, red and green ludwiga, marimo balls and several other species of plant).
Substrate: sand
Decoration: Bog woods, coconut cave and yellowstone rock
Fish: Shoal of cardinal tetras, shoal of rummy nosed tetras, 2 x Yoyo loach, 2 x banded khuli loach and a plec. (Have yet to get my final purchase of 2 x Otocinclus affinis - my plec has become lazy and prefers surfing on his cucumber slices plus hes getting a little large to land on some of the smaller plants without doing damage upon impact. He's not exactly very graceful )
Temp: 25
Lighting: 1 blue light, 1 dawn light, and 2 day lights
Filter: Fluval 4 plus internal filter (though I do have an external fluval 304 on stand by should the rattling get worse)
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, fluval, internal filter, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com