Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to chabooky386
ProClear Aquatics

Need a new wet dry for my tank... I have right now a sump, and it is dirty and too big for my cabinet underneath. Well I have old mud in there from my old saltwater tank that i have in there still from when i converted it to freshwater. I heard it isnt such a good way for my African Cichlid to have that set up. In the pic below you can see what has happend since i converted. Well this is my question I ordered an XP3 and it is coming in friday. And i want a ProClear Aquatics wet dry filter. But what model should i get from ProClear Aquatics and I don't think i will need the wet dry with the skimmer it would be useless from what i heard... so i am planning to do an XP3 and a ProClear Aquatics wet dry vac. Over filteration is the way im going for...

Starting fresh all over again

Old 03-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to chabooky386

Old 04-06-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
well.. if I had that equipment this is what I would do..

first I would clean it real good with some vinigar.. and old fashoned water

I would acually leave the skimmer in there, if your water is hard enough, you use a VERY low dose of regular old salt (I wouldnt do this unitll its apparent after a few weeks that its not going to funtion), and if there isnt a valve on the output of the skimmer for hight adjustment put one on there and adjust the water level almost all the way up. you might actually be able to get it to skim some.

you can add biomedia and the like in the flow path (If they still make it a big chunk of cellpore would be killer you might be able to get some denitifcation going on :P )

you could also use some FW clams and put a light down there with some anubus and have it cycle on at night

Ok.. enough with the wild ideas out of me :P

btw.. that looks like a fire oscar thats south american (if you were going African you could use salts or make salt mixes for the particular lake your intresed in and the skimmer would almost be a sure fire bet to work IMHO)
Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Ahh.. I forgot to add.. the valve on the output of the skimmer, gate valves are the bomb.. :P

Tags
clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com