proclear wet/dry making constant gurgling noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockstarkd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon saltwater fish only and just recently replaced the entire wet/dry filter system. It has been up and running for about a month, and all is good, I love it, but lately it has been making a "pulsating" sound in the tube that goes down to the filter. (sorry I am not up on the correct terms but wish I were). I have had this tank for about 6 years and only know the basics. I could really use some help determining why this pulsating noise is all of a sudden happening. When I move the tube a little back and forth, sort of "jiggle" it, it then makes a different noise and sounds like a storm drain right after a heavy rain. When I look below at the filter system, the water sometimes spits out heavier than normal.
Can someone please help? Am I not doing something right?

Is the noise coming from a hang on type overflow box? When you upgraded to this new wet/dry, did you also upgrade the return pump?

i had the same thing... every once in a while it had a flushing sound. I took good advice from someone to put a piece of airline tube into the opening in the drain. All it does is like break the surface tension of the water and it stops the sound

try experimenting with that.

yes it is.When I look at the sump tube it jumps when the water gets to that point. Then it flushes out through the slotted cylinder inside the top of the sump.
I did upgrade the return pump as well. The whole kit and caboodle. Its a bit different than the old set up, but once i get a little more educated with it, I can see liking it a lot more.

Is the noise coming from a hang on type overflow box? When you upgraded to this new wet/dry, did you also upgrade the return pump?

Thats exactly what it sounds like. a flushing sound. I will try that. Thx!!!

i had the same thing... every once in a while it had a flushing sound. I took good advice from someone to put a piece of airline tube into the opening in the drain. All it does is like break the surface tension of the water and it stops the sound

ok, so I tried this and can see how it would make a difference, but the sump tube is still "pulsating". Like the water is not evenly flowing all the way down the tube through the cylinder like piece on the inside of the sump. It continues to spit out the water instead of flow... its too new to have any build up but i have checked all attachments and just cant figure out what would be causing the water to blow out of the end of the cylinder.

take a picture of the setup... what does the tube that goes from the back overflow box down to the sump look like.. is it coiled up or in any way not straight which would mess up your downflow?

I wish I had time to post a pic now. I will try sometime soon to do that. It is pretty straight. It doesnt seemed coiled at all. it goes straight down, then sort of parallel with the floor to where it connects to the side of the sump.

take a picture of the setup... what does the tube that goes from the back overflow box down to the sump look like.. is it coiled up or in any way not straight which would mess up your downflow?

Is the end of the drain line under water in the sump?

It sounds to me like the drain line is either too long or is not "straight".

so, neither of these seem to be the prob. I have fixed the pulsating sound, by (stupid me) moving the hangon box over so it took a bit of slack out of the sump hose. Now, the flushiing sound is back, coming from the hangon box. I tried that deal with putting a small air tube in the center, to break the water flow, but it is still sounding like its constantly flushing.
Atleast the pulsating noise is gone...
any other thoughts? Also, I have taken pics but didnt know how to post them. (or didnt make time to figure out how to post) I can try again tomorrow.

Is the end of the drain line under water in the sump?

It sounds to me like the drain line is either too long or is not "straight".

Try this ;)
overflow-sm.jpg

I was just going to recommend CCCAPT's solution. It works wonders. I found I had to have the airline tube very tight into the cup and then attached in a way that prevented the cup from being sucked all the way down onto the overflow tube.

Back
Top Bottom