Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #1

Proquatics Hydromatic Heaters

I have had a Proquatics Hydromatic Heater for about a year now. This week I bought another one for another tank and read the instructions. It says that it should not be submerged the entire way. It should only be submerged to the water line and vertical only. The one I have been using, I have had on an angle and completely submerged. What kind of problem could this cause? Are these not as efficent as a complete submersible since it's partially out of the water even though they're identical in appearance to the submersible type? Can I continue using them as I have been?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

They put that caution there for a reason. Maybe it's not completely sealed, I don't know, but I wouldn't completely submerge it is it says not to. A heater is a heater no matter how you look at it. Just make sure that water is flowing by it so that your whole tank gets heated. Don't know how accurate or precise the ProQuatics ones are. I've got an Ebo-Jager and it's pretty accurate.

MikeWinLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:20 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

If you ended up buying a canadian product that could be the reason. The Canadians require that for the products to be sold up there....Contact the company and ask

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #4

This is Petsmart's brand. I actually have 3 of the heaters now. One in each tank. I have been using them all completely submerged and on an angle. I have been pleased with them so far. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mhaynes01
i have a 100 watt in my SW it does say to keep it at the water level

but i keep it tilted(still at the water level)
Old 04-29-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

p.s

really good heater keeps my tank at a comfy 80 degrees fahrenheit
Old 04-29-2004, 10:05 PM   #7

Maybe I should keep it at water level just to be on the safe side. Mhaynes, do you unplug it when you do the water changes, so that the heater isn't coming on when your water level is down, or what?

p.s. what are you planning on putting in your 15 gal saltwater.
ty for the feeback everyone
Old 04-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i do unplug it

uhh i want some clown(s) and live rock maybe a coral or two unlikely but i wish

people tell me 2 is ok in there but i do not agree so i am not sure what kind

maybe,....................cinnamon or ...................tomato.....................perc ula,orcelacaacacsss or a clarkii
Old 05-06-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to wxboilermaker
I've got one too, and I seem to remember the instructions saying to not allow the water to drop below the water line on the heater. So I think the line is more of a means to keep you from burning out the element by running it dry. I've hand mine partually submerged (half way up the plastic top) and have yet to have a problem. It looks like it is sealed, but really can't tell for sure.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I just bought that one and was wondering the same thing....I think im going to take it back and get one that says its submersible just to be safe. ( I dont wanna fry my fishes.)

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com