Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Here is a cut and paste from seachem regarding the effects of cupramine on the bacteria in a DT

Hello Chris,

Thanks for the email. Cupramine is a parasite specific medication that will eradicate most external parasite infestations that should occur in the aquarium. Though all of our medications are filter safe, meaning they have a very minimal impact on the bacteria in the biological filter, it is never a bad idea to add in a bacterial supplement, such as our Stability, while medicating. There are two articles about Cupramine that can be found in our library on our website. These articles were written by the founder of our company, Dr. Leo Morin. If you are interested in reading these articles please follow the links

So there take is minimal not none at all. I will take some time and read the articles they have published as well. It sounds as though that minimal comment was just a pitch to buy there additive to me.

boxfishlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular
What is your nitrate level? High nitrates are not good for invertebrates. I have lost many snails in my tank, I believe from high nitrates, my level was 80 or more. I have them under control now with a refugium. I change my filter media every day or two and empty my skimmer cup at least twice a week. I learned the hard way that nitrates build up quickly from trapped food. My puffer lets lots of food get to the filter media.
Are you using RO/DI water for your changes? If not your are not your are most likely adding some of the nitrates back into the tank with each change.
Like cmor1701d said, more LR to take the the burden from your canister. Are you having a algae issue?
Skimmers are not toys, they do a specific job in your tank.
A good skimmer is not cheap but you can get one for the amount you are willing to spend. You will see the difference in your water quality before long. New ones take a few days to work correctly, some (like mine) need to be adjusted daily. Not sure why mine is go difficult to keep in tune but is is an older Kent model. I need to invest in a newer model.. Anyway back to your issue, all your tank occupants will thank you for investing in one.

Freedom is not free, support the troops!
If you can read this thank a Teacher, because its in English thank a Veteran.

110 Gallon FOWLR, 25 Gallon sump/refugium.
Raimond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
I do not use RO/DI water what I do is prepare 10 gallons at a time I have a spare tank with a HOF that I pack full of carbon and let the water cycle for a day before using it that helps bring down the iron levels and any other impurities in the water. I dont have any snails in there currently but plan on putting a few in for clean up and a snack for my burrfish. The nitrates were over 80 yesterday. Algea has not been an issue really I get an occasional brown outbreak which actually is good for bringing nitrates down but it usually dies off within a few days. I only have my lights on for 7 hours a day to help combat algea. I think I may invest in the skimmer and see how it goes. I was told not to change my filter media actually I was told unless my water flow slows down not to touch it at all because of the possibility of upsetting the bacteria in it. I do change my fine media every month but the course and semi course I havent touched in months. I never even drain the water out of the canister. However i am going to with my next water change to see if it helps. My cowfish is currently on antibiotics he got pecked at last week by my now deceased black boxfish not sure what happened to her she was super healthy one day and dead the next. Not even sure why she got aggressive she was great for the first three weeks. And my cowfish is a loaner he never chases anyone. Anyway hopefully the meds will take care of her abrasions. I have started mixing it in his food so I know it is getting in his system.

boxfishlover is offline   Reply With Quote

protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com