protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davemc77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
I got a double head protein skinner DG2516 but I'm have problems setting it up. Don't seem to be able to get the water level up to the bottom of the collection cup where I think u need to be to get it foaming ? Can anyone help me with some tips

is it getting air? i have a single head and it wont work at all without the air . Also with a new skimmer a lot of people are sayng they have a breakin period..... not really sure ?

Most new skimmers take a week or two to fully break in. :)

When adjusting my skimmers I start as low as it will go and add a teeny tiny bit of a turn each time I adjust until it's where I want it.

The two red knobs which I think r for adjusting out flow r open fully. The air intake tube is open and is getting lots of air.

ForumRunner_20120221_201310.jpg

It doesn't look like you have enough air getting in there.....have you checked the intake pumps to make sure they aren't blocked and are the air hoses firmly attached? If you cover the air hoses with your finger do you get a higher level of bubbles/water?

If I close the air intake tube the water will rise but as soon as I open it to let some air in the level drops a bit. If I close up red knobs the level gose down more. Am I doing something else wrong ?

ForumRunner_20120221_204424.jpg

Just wanted to make sure the air tubes were clear, they appear to be fine though since you got a response when covering them. Is this a brandy new skimmer? That might have something to do with it as well.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, don't worry.....skimmers can be a pain to dial in sometimes for everyone....

One more thing I was told from the shop that sold me skimmer there is a tube coming off the bottom of the collection cup. I asked what do I do with tube and shop keeper said just hang it in tank but that dose not sound right as would that not contaminate my aquarium with what ever is collected in cup ?

It's a drain tube so you don't have to empty the collection cup all of the time. You could hook it up to a larger container.

i have the same skimmer, its a single head though. i ran a hose into a bucket or a bottle to collect the skimate. you have to have a lot of air going into the skimmer for it to work properly.

Back
Top Bottom