Protein Skimmer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Protein Skimmer with a built in power head. It seems to be skimming all right (I have no fish in my tank yet) but there's no air coming out.
I don't honestly know how to describe my problem but does anyone familiar with protein skimmers have any advice? Like what's usually a cause?
thanks in advance!
:fish1:

Okay, I just found one thing wrong that I fixed--but where should the air be coming out of? Shouldn't I be able to see the air?
This is the skimmer I have. I know it's a cheap one, but most reviews said the air pump was the most effective part!

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Fish-Protein-Skimmer-Filter/dp/B002YZ4IRU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:
Not really the air pump, but the powerhead/water pump, your air comes in through a tube that goes from somewhere above the water to the intake filter of the pump, it doesn't really pump any air, just the pump creates vaccuum and if has access to some air via the tube it sucks it in with the water. The tube should have an adjustment valve so you can regulate how much air it can suck in. The bubbles should be in the skimmers main column and turn to foam at the top with the foam barely making it into the collection cup and thus making your dark brown skimmate. If this helps any.

If you dont have a tube thats open to air that goes to the pump you won't have any bubbles and your skimmer won't skim.

Back
Top Bottom