Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,
I am trying to figure out what type of protein skimmer I want. I wanted to get one that could go in sump and hob, bc eventually I want to upgrade from my canister filter to a sump. I have heard reef octopus is good, but they make either or. They are either hob's or in sump. I was looking at this coralife http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BJP4Z6. Does anyone have any experience with them or have any other suggestions. Oh yeah its for a 70 gallon, 4' tank. Thanks.

Lindsay

Coralife skimmers ate garbage ime. I hade two that broke within a year. Just get a hob reef octo hang on. They work super well apparently. You could just hang it on your sump too.

Oh I didn't know that, I thought you had to have an in sump one to be able to use it that way. I am so confused about how to make a sump! I've watched tons of videos but I just don't get it. Maybe my husband will understand. If you have a in sump skimmer do you need a pump? If some could tell me things needed to build one I think i could figure it out. Thanks!

Lindsay

Yes you still need a pump. Building a sump is simple. Just glue some acrylic or glass baffles in!!!! I made one in about 1 hour total. You just measure the inside and then make bubble traps. Skimmer first, then refugium, then return.

Ok so I think I'm gonna get the reef octopus 6 in sump skimmer. It says it comes with pump, so I will still need another one for that side, I know I need a return pump too. I thought the pump that comes with skimmer would work as the input pump. Sorry I posted a different post about sumps but nobody responded. Thanks.

Lindsay

Sorry, I don't think i am explaining myself well. I have just learned about sumps so i have no idea what the correct words would be. What I meant by input is the pump bringing the water down into sump, or is it just gravity fed? I think I just answer my own question. So, there is no pump on the entering side.:facepalm: so do I need anything besides a pipe running from back of tank to the sump, what stops it from overflowing in sump. I am sorry if these are stupid questions its just I'm a girl that knows nothing about how this kind of stuff works and I didn't want to tell hubby what he needs to build until I have a better grasp on how it works. Thanks.
:thanks:
Lindsay
Btw I ordered the reef octopus 6 in sump, for 150 gallons.

Lol it's gravity fed. It don't suck more water than the height of the drain. Thats why you have overflows/ pipes going to the top of the tank.

So my tank is acrylic so i was thinking of drilling it, what kind of overfow would be needed? I've seen ones that hang off back but that wouldn't work with drilled. What do you mean by pipes off the top wouldn't the hole need to be drilled on the back. Sorry again if these are dumb questions. :thanks:

Lindsay

If its not drilled yet a hob overflow would work. I mean the opening of the tube is at the top of the tank. If it was at the bottom the tank would drain until it got to that point.

Well there's no such thing as a dumb question it's all about learning. But if your running a pipe down into the sump you should put a shut off valve so your sump doesn't overflow when your power shuts off

If its not drilled yet a hob overflow would work. I mean the opening of the tube is at the top of the tank. If it was at the bottom the tank would drain until it got to that point.

When you drill the bottom of a tank you put an acrylic box around it. It will only drain to the top of the acrylic box. My 75 only drains about 3 gallons of extra water to the sump when I kill the power to the tank.

Ok so now I'm confused, I've been told you drill the top of the tank. I've read a lot about overflow boxes being loud is there a way to prevent that? Is there anyone who can send some pics of your drilled tank and the plumbing to the sump. Even if it's not drilled I like to see the plumbing from overflow box too. Anything will help. Thanks.

Lindsay

You can check out the 75 gallon reef build in my signature. I have videos and pictures of the whole thing.

Reef octopus HOB on my sump. It worked awesome when it was on the DT, now it seems not to pull so much. Maybe my water is cleaner since the sump?

image-2935257465.jpg

Back
Top Bottom