Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's definitely better than nothing at least.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Once you get more comfortable with the unit, you might look into some of the modifications that people have done to these units to make them more effective. Some food for thought.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Once you get more comfortable with the unit, you might look into some of the modifications that people have done to these units to make them more effective. Some food for thought.

Hmm like what kinda mods?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

In honesty, I've never done it personally. Some things can be like modifying the impeller to give better/more bubbles to go up into the cone.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #15

Got a question for y'all. Protein skimmer is doing good so far but the bowl is filling up with some dirty water pretty quickly. Is that normal? Should I keep it empty as much as possible? Or leave the water in it for a while
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Either you have a ton of nutrients in the water column or it needs dialed back some. The bubbles should barely be halfway up the neck of the collection cup.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Got a question for y'all. Protein skimmer is doing good so far but the bowl is filling up with some dirty water pretty quickly. Is that normal? Should I keep it empty as much as possible? Or leave the water in it for a while
slightly raise the cup that will help keep water out allowing just the foam , keeping the water in wont help any just smell like a cesspool

sea clones are a pain getting going trust me been there done that ,

using sea clone stock:

first try closing the air intake let it run like this a day or so , once you have done this slowly open air intake looking at both the cyclone motion in the chamber and the overflow water should be just touching the top lip of the output chamber slightly bouncing up and down .

you will hear a change in the motor it sound like it's reeving up once you hear that change stop let it run , you may have to adjust it several times over a week or so , don't be surprised if you have to do this over and over . until you get totally fed up with it , no don't throw it out a simple change will solve it.

sea clone modification:

sea clones are known to just stop pulling skim-mate , the best recommendation I know is to replace the 100gph pump with a 250gph pump you may need to swap out some fittings from the 100gph pump to the 250 gph pump otherwise it's simple , you will instantly notice the improvement , this is the only true mod that works they have been skimming my smaller tanks the last few years I have no complaints . the true issue is the stock motor it is not strong enough to perform correctly ,

I never understood why the manufacturer never changed out the pump as they always knew the pump they used just didn't have the power to run the skimmer correctly,

all those other mods out there telling you to cut the inner tub , do not work so don't destroy the skimmer body to attempt them , 90% of the time you will crack the body as it is glued very well , there mods to shorten the whole chamber body along with the inner chamber , it don't work only destroys a perfectly good body .

another mod they claim to work is the propeller mod , seriously don't waist your time ,
I have attempted tried and done each and every one of the known mods , nothing showed any improvement , except for the bigger pump which proved itself instantly to me.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #18

Thanks for this info it has greatly helped!

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, rot, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com