Protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10g FW tank and 30g SW tank. I have not seen it mentioned but would a FW tank benefit from a protein skimmer to help remove dissolved organic material in the water? Also, would 72W of PC lighting be too much light for the 10g? I'm thinking of getting a custom hood with the lighting for possibly converting the tank to SW in the future. TIA.

The only benefit might be helping to oxygenate the water and a slight benefit to keeping pH stable. Overall, you would be much better to aggressively use activated carbon.

In saltwater, the organic impurities in your water will bond at any place where water and air meet. This bond creates a think gel-like substance, which is what collects in the collection cup of your protein skimmer. This bond does not take place in freshwater, so the protein skimmer will not actually "foam" and will not remove any impurities from the water.

If you think about walking down the beach, and the waves crashing on the shoreline, you will recall seeing a thick foam of bubbles which is carried up onto the shore. You will not experience this at even the largest of freshwater lakes.

72 watts is a lot of light for a 10 gal. Half of that would still be bright. The usual suggestion is 2 watts per gallon.

Back
Top Bottom