Protein SKimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeedingFrenzy20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
would it be alright to use 2 protein skimmers at the same time. would this help lower nitrates even better.

I guess this would depend on the skimmer, you tank and water flow. If you have good water flow, a drop well and a skimmer of suitable capacity, then you would probably be wise to save your money and skip the second skimmer.

On the other hand, if you have a situation where your current skimmer doesn't get all the water, or is in a low flow aquarium, or under capacity for the tank, then it would be of benefit.

I'd be more concerned with the wasted power consumption and additional noise generated. I have one skimmer on my 55g tank and it picks up perhaps 5mm of sludge per week, reducing as time goes on.

You really need to give us more information.

well i have a 125 gallon tank with a 50 gallon refugium. i am runnin a seaclone 150. but i have some rather large fish i. e. a banded bamboo shark, a coral cat shark and a cortez ray, and a large porcupine puffer plus a few other fish. and have had some problems with nitrates however they are on their way down. i just thought maybe getting another skimmer would help eliminate the nitrates better and faster.

ROFL...sorry...but a SeaClone 150 is no where near enough for a 125gallon tank, despite what the manufacturer claims.

Unfortunately I have a 40gallon tank, so I can't recommend a good skimmer for your size...but you'd be better off upgrading than trying to add a second small skimmer. Since you have a sump, look for in-sump models which tend to be more effective due to their design.

Check out the ASM skimmers. THey use the same pumps as the euroreefs and are alot cheaper and skim exactly the same. You could get a ASM rated for your tank for under $300

Back
Top Bottom