Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Protein skimmer?

I am starting a marine tank and I was wondering about using a protein skimmer. I have a 20gal long tank. I plan to use a Marineland emperor 280 filter. Live rock and live sand. I was told I need one and told I don't can anyone help?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

On small tanks, it is not unreasonable to rely on regular water changes to serve the same role that a protein skimmer would. That does not say that a protein skimmer would be a bad thing. I would also add that if you are using live rock, the HOB filter would really serve more to just stir up the water. I am not sure what the flow rate on the filter would be, but you may want to consider an additional powerhead for water flow.

Old 04-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #3

Well the flow rate is 280 gph. how big of a powerhead should I use?

thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
For a 20g tank if you shoot for 40 lbs of live rock with a good sand bed and throw in 2 maxijet 600's with your filter and you should be good. I would advice changing out 5 gallons of water a week to prevent algae breakouts and water quality problems.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:28 AM   #5

thanks for the info I shall definatly look into it this week.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, if you do decide to look into a skimmer anyway, pay particular attention to how tall it is. You don't have much height to work with using a 20L tank.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The general rule of thumb for flow rates is ten times the water volume for fish only (FOWLR) and twenty times if you are keeping corals. That being said, the 280 gph from the filter would be sufficient water movement if you are only keeping fish. The additional powerheads would give you more than enough flow for corals if that was where you intended to go.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com