Protein Skimmer Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ztirf954

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a new 60 gallon tank (for free :lol:). I have a 29 gallon currently with no skimmer. With the increase in size I'm going to get a skimmer. Any advice on a good HOB skimmer that I can get in a moderate price range.
Thanks,
Ztirf
:thanks:

Is this going to be for a reef?? If so..... personally, anything above 50g, I'd start considering a sump.

No its just live rock and sand. I would get a sump but my parents dont want me flooding the house unfortunetly. I dont mind the main of a hob really.

Well, if it's just fish only, I wouldn't waste my money on a skimmer, honestly..... Unless it's just burning a hole in your pocket.
Regular filter cleaning and pwc's are more than enough for a FOWLR.

In that case, what kind of lighting do you have? Just checking, and not trying to talk you out of a skimmer, just thinking of the logical order in which direction to better invest your money..... If you are going to need better lighting for corals, you'd be better served putting your money that way first.

Then I'd go with a Reef Octopus BH1000 or BH2000. 1000 will handle the tank, but it never hurts to go one size up from what you need.

Back
Top Bottom