Protein skimmer best bang for the buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spechty37

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello folks I needs some advise on a half decent skimmer for around $200 I have a 75dt and a sump. total water volume is around 110 gallons. I know that $200 isn't a lot but if that's all you had what would you buy. All suggestions welcome. Thank you

bubble magus curve 5 or 7. try to go with the 7 if possible. i absolutely love mine and it pulls out a TON of junk.

they are similar. i want to say that the NAC is the outgoing series. the Curve is the new series. they both list different pumps as well.

Mrx I have an algae issue again I cut back on my feeding a little and started weekly water changes again. Could a junk skimmer be the reason I have so much nutrients in my water. I also have ro/di water. It's the brown algae that only gets on the glass and once and awhile I will see it on the sand. I have add more flow, and added a phosphate reactor first with gfo and now I'm using kent phosphate sponge in it. I also dosed vodka for about 4 or 5 months and that seem to help a little. It's driving me crazy. All and I also have the Chinese 120w LEDs two of them

Algae needs nutrients to grow (along with light of course). If you are putting in more nutrients than you are taking out, you will see the signs (algae, cyano, rises in nitrate, etc.). You need to evaluate your bio load, along with how much food (and supplements) you are putting in the tank V.S. how much you are removing. A better skimmer may very well be the answer. You will have to figure that out for yourself.
How much are you feeding and how many fish? What size are the fish? Water changes? What size system and what skimmer are you using now?

i believe you are referring to diatoms. which if i remember correctly, is more of a stage than an ongoing issue tanks have. also dosing vodka helps lower nitrates and phosphates, but it actually promotes the growth of certain algaes.

Mrx I have an algae issue again I cut back on my feeding a little and started weekly water changes again. Could a junk skimmer be the reason I have so much nutrients in my water. I also have ro/di water. It's the brown algae that only gets on the glass and once and awhile I will see it on the sand. I have add more flow, and added a phosphate reactor first with gfo and now I'm using kent phosphate sponge in it. I also dosed vodka for about 4 or 5 months and that seem to help a little. It's driving me crazy. All and I also have the Chinese 120w LEDs two of them

Algae needs nutrients to grow (along with light of course). If you are putting in more nutrients than you are taking out, you will see the signs (algae, cyano, rises in nitrate, etc.). You need to evaluate your bio load, along with how much food (and supplements) you are putting in the tank V.S. how much you are removing. A better skimmer may very well be the answer. You will have to figure that out for yourself.
How much are you feeding and how many fish? What size are the fish? Water changes? What size system and what skimmer are you using now?
I answered earlier....

Not sure how that last post got on there twice lol. Ok I feed a pinch or two of flake food a day and one block of brine a week. I have three clowns, four blue reef chromis an pistol shrimp a yellow gobie and about four peppermint shrimp. 30% water changes every week for the last month and a half. I was doing 20% every other week before that and for a skimmer I had an aqua Roma c that I had hanging on the sump I know it junk that's what made me think it might be the problem . All I also have another yellow little yellow fish that just kinda sits around lol I forget what it's called. And like I said I have a 75 DT and a 55g sump that probably holds about 25 or 30 gallons

Huma you were saying about diatoms if that's what it is I have had it for about six months I thought that stuff went away after a while

Ok thank you, what do you think of the asm 3 I can get a used one of them for 160

There is a reason why these skimmers are being sold. Most of them are being upgraded. I believe it makes sense to go right to the upgrade, instead of the old technology, used skimmer. it's plenty skimmer for your needs, but who knows how long the pump will last.

Back
Top Bottom