protein skimmer brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
im in the market for a skimmer, wondering if brand/price makes a big difference in functionality?

For example:
Aquarium Systems Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer good up to 70gal ......59.99

This just seems too good to be true since the Coralife skimmer for a 65gal is 159.99

You think the first one is worth a try?

You get what you pay for so imo yes. Look into Octopus, Vertex, Bubble King, Euro Reef, Aqua C, Tunze, and Eshopps (not in any particular order). Aqua-medic Turboflotors are usually a good bang for the buck as well.

If your looking for a HOB skimmer, I just put an Octopus Bh1000 into use and am really happy with it.
If you spill some water while installing don't dirty up your own towels....go ahead and use the instruction sheet. It's vague, full of typos and in general pretty much worthless.
Good news is its a great skimmer,easy to set up, and enough people on this forum have one so you can get help pretty easy if you run into troubles or have a question.

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopu...back-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2347.html

If your looking for a HOB skimmer, I just put an Octopus Bh1000 into use and am really happy with it.
If you spill some water while installing don't dirty up your own towels....go ahead and use the instruction sheet. It's vague, full of typos and in general pretty much worthless.
Good news is its a great skimmer,easy to set up, and enough people on this forum have one so you can get help pretty easy if you run into troubles or have a question.

Reef Octopus BH 1000 Hang on Back Protein Skimmer by CoralVue - AquaCave

ROTFLMAO.... Yup, but if he spills more than one sheet worth he'll have to get paper towels. I only got one page. Gotta give it to the Chineese though, they did a pretty good job translating to English. :D

I did a fair amount of research on protein skimmers prior to purchasing. I chose the Tunze 9002 as I was looking for a unit that performed well, didn't dwarf my 37-gallon tank, and was minimal in appearance (trying to keep a clean look).

While I only have 3 fish so not over-stocked by any means, I am certainly surprised at the skimmate this unit pulls out of the water column ... especially considering how simple and basic the unit is. It's also so quit that I have to touch it to feel if the unit is actually working.

Pricey compared to what you mention above but worth considering ...

Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002

Back
Top Bottom