Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Protein Skimmer - Ebay

What is your take on this protein skimmer on sale @ eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150793650432...ht_5093wt_1193

Old 04-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I think, for the most part, you get what you pay for. IMO, you'd be getting $40 worth of skimmer.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #3

IMO Post above is understated. Lol... $40 will get you a skimmer that won't out perform a DIY wood diffuser, air pump, sode bottle build. diy bottle protein skimmer - Google Search Trust me I have a used Seaclone 150 that I grabbed for $40 and have modified it a few time with little success. But I Took a soda bottle added a air pump with wood diffuser on my wifes 10g and it skims 10x what my "semi pro" skimmer does.

I plan to build a 5gal water bottle skimmer, which I hopefully will solve the skimming problem. DIY Protein Skimmer
Old 04-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I bought that same skimmer off ebay and it was terrible!!! It took months to sell it off on craigslist it was so horrible. I would REALLY stay away from that one.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never heard of that brand. And as the others have stated you get what you pay for and that seems very cheap. Plus I can tell you that Carey is very reliable if she's says it stinks it stinks
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There are two things you don't want to go cheap on one is Skimmer the other is lights
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I bought that same skimmer off ebay and it was terrible!!! It took months to sell it off on craigslist it was so horrible. I would REALLY stay away from that one.
Carey,

Could you please tell me what made it so horrible?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The pump was crappy, it was very very loud. It didn't make enough bubbles to go up the neck and it was horrible to adjust. It was also very cheaply made and the pieces "kinda" fit together. lol

It was honestly one of my worst fish tank gear purchases. Even worse than the bio cube skimmer I bought. lol
Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's cool. Thanks all for your input. I just bought a WON Brothers, 75g/300g/hr Venturi Protein Skimmer. I am installing it as we speak, and I am having issues because it didn't come with assembly instructions. Could anyone give me some feedback n this product? It was the least expensive skimmer for $119.99.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com