protein skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

01n3on

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first time using a protein skimmer on a saltwater set up. The tank is a 5 gallon, with 5 lbs of live sand, as well as 5 lbs of live rock. I am using an AquaClear 20 as main filtration. My skimmer is an Azoo Mignon Skim 360, for tanks up to 20 gallons, pumps 95 gph. There are no inhabitants at this time. How do I adjust for the right amount of skimmate? Also, it pours bubbles into the tank, clogs up my aquaclear, and the cartridge in the mignon with bubbles. Is this normal? Its been running for a week now. All help appreciated!! Thanks!!!

01n3on said:
This is my first time using a protein skimmer on a saltwater set up. The tank is a 5 gallon, with 5 lbs of live sand, as well as 5 lbs of live rock. I am using an AquaClear 20 as main filtration. My skimmer is an Azoo Mignon Skim 360, for tanks up to 20 gallons, pumps 95 gph. There are no inhabitants at this time. How do I adjust for the right amount of skimmate? Also, it pours bubbles into the tank, clogs up my aquaclear, and the cartridge in the mignon with bubbles. Is this normal? Its been running for a week now. All help appreciated!! Thanks!!!

Honestly ,..you are not going to need a skimmer on a tank that small,..it'll probably be more hassle than its worth,...just do a 10 - 20 % water change weekly and you will be just fine.
Skimmers are usually used for tanks that are much larger,..prob starting around 30 gallons and up

The reason I opted for one is I cant do. Pwc tat often, and I'm trying to promote coralline algae. The lps said that it would be a good idea to help promote coralline and reduce phosphates and nitrates.

01n3on said:
The reason I opted for one is I cant do. Pwc tat often, and I'm trying to promote coralline algae. The lps said that it would be a good idea to help promote coralline and reduce phosphates and nitrates.

If it was a fifty gal tank then I'd agree,....but on a five gal tank it'll probably be useless ,... A 10 % water change is only like a 1/2 gal a week.

But I live with my grandma who will not let me do a pwc but only once a month. It was hard enough talking her into letting me have a small FOWLR.

01n3on said:
But I live with my grandma who will not let me do a pwc but only once a month. It was hard enough talking her into letting me have a small FOWLR.

Not to be harsh,..but in order to maintain a nice healthy marine aquarium a weekly or semi weekly water change is going to be a necessary not an option wether you are running a protein skimmer or not,.... I would think you could do a 1/2 gallon water change by just walking by the tank and taking a half gallon container and dipping out a half gallon with your left hand and adding a half gallon of fresh salt water with your right hand :)

Not to be harsh, but its her house and what she says goes, there is no changing that. Monthly pwc will be fine, this isn't my first saltwater, just my first protein skimmer. I know about the importance of water changes, you don't have to preach that to me. I have had aquariums for 13 years, yet again, just never a protein skimmer. All I need is help with adjustment and the bubble problem, and if you can't help with that then you have no business replying to my thread. Not trying to be harsh or anything.

01n3on said:
Not to be harsh, but its her house and what she says goes, there is no changing that. Monthly pwc will be fine, this isn't my first saltwater, just my first protein skimmer. I know about the importance of water changes, you don't have to preach that to me. I have had aquariums for 13 years, yet again, just never a protein skimmer. All I need is help with adjustment and the bubble problem, and if you can't help with that then you have no business replying to my thread. Not trying to be harsh or anything.

Sorry mr Cousteau ,..I didn't realized that you knew it all ,... I'm sorry for wasting your time

Wow!!!! Since the LFS sold it to you maybe you should just ask them how to adjust it.

I figured since it was an hour away id try here first, but I think I will just go to them with any issues I have, I have trusted them for thirteen years and thry haven't failed me yet.

Back
Top Bottom