protein skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking a protein skimmer to go in a small sump for 56 tank... Any suggestion out there? I am finding they range from $75 to $250 for what I think I need. Pretty confused right now all I'm certain about is no HOB....

It's hard to say there's not really any way to measure the effectiveness of a skimmer, so no real way to compare them. I'm looking for one myself for a 135g.
I have an eshopps psk75 on a 47g and it's great. I had a seaclone before that and it was garbage even after I modded it out. Many people will say get a reef octopus, but I don't see them being worth their high price personally.
There are a few different basic designs for skimmers each has pros and cons.
There are cones - new design, supposed to be more efficient,
Downdrafts, older reliable, but require a powerful pump,
Venturi- I'm not sure look it up,
Concurrent and countercurrent, needle wheel and mesh impellers. Those are not really skimmer designs but how the skimmers function and pump technology. Just read up on all that stuff, decide what suits your
Budget and your tanks needs and then shop around. Hope this helps somewhat. Should get you started on some research.

Back
Top Bottom