Protein skimmer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 120 gallon reef tank with a moderate bio load. My protein skimmer is a bubble magnus nac 6, and is not skimming very much. We cleaned it out and seems to make good bubbles for about a day. I want to upgrade to a better skimmer for my tank. What would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive only used the CPR BakPak before, but loved it. Especially when my bio-load got so low that it didnt even make a full cup each week :)

I use a bubble magus on my 40 and love it! Wondering why you're having issues...hmm.

Reef octopus makes good skimmers. You could look into those

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We cleaned the pumps and the air tubing. I will take a picture when I get home tonight. I don't think it's bubbling enough

If you cleaned it you'll have to wait and let it cycle as if it were a new skimmer , I've done that once felt like I had started over

It has been running for a week now, there is about 1/2 inches of bubbles at the top then just water. It's not foamy. I'm getting a little in the cup but not as much as I used to. I saw a bubble magnus 7 curve on amazon for $288.00. It is rated for up the 240 gallons. And I saw the skimmer I have is discontinued I'm kinda wondering why.

So here's a picture of my skimmer. Do you think it is working ok. To me the bubbles are not foamy enough.

Attachments

• 1454680160498.jpg
    1454680160498.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 1454680173148.jpg
    1454680173148.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 63
I have no experience with that skimmer but does it have a way to regulate air and water? If you can tweak them and dial in the skimmer to where it functions best. I built my own counter current skimmer and it took some tweaking of water in and out and air in to get the results I wanted. Now it pulls the smelliest black sludge

As the skimmer breaks in you'll have to tweak it to keep it dialed in

EDIT: if you can try and restrict water flow in so that water level drops down to the body instead of the neck of the skimmer. Did it come with an instruction manual or anything? Does it give any recommendations?

I agree with beej, I'd try to lower the water level in the skimmer to create more foam. It seems to be pretty high

Ok I'll try lowering the water. It's a used skimmer, we have had it for a year now and it just started producing less foamy bubbles. I don't know how old it is. We cleaned everything out to make sure nothing was built up inside

Back
Top Bottom