Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also recommend getting a drilled tank. It doesn't cost that much more and you don't have to worry about losing syphon from an overflow box.

As for the pump, find one that closely matches the flow rating of the overflow. If the height from the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank is 4 ft, get a pump that matches the overflow rating at 4ft.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hey guys..just an update..i've decided to go with 75 gallon drilled tank..what do you guys think about this sump pump..it looks good to me but i need some opinion..
Eheim 1048 Universal Aquarium Pump 160GPH - English
thanks..

Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #13

all you need is an over flow box and sump you could make them your self its very inexpensive if you look at my diy post on my profile you could see how i have my protein skimmer set up in my refugium all i paid for the overflow and refugium was about 55 dollars so if you ahve any questions on how to do it let me know. also i recommend you put your skimmer in the last part of your refugium next to your water return submersible pump. heres a link to how i have mine set-up home made overflow and refugium sump - YouTube
Old 10-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

a drilled tank is the way to go. and make sure on in your return line u put a small hole just under the water line in the DT to break any siphon going from the dt to the sump witch would most likely overflow the sump. i would advise against putting your skimmer in the last section of the sump. if u ever plan on getting adding a fuge to house some copepods or any other type of live foo, u dont want you skimmer sucking up all your pods. allow your skimmer to remove most of the unwanted waste before flowing through your fuge then back to the dt. if u are not planning on ever have a refuge and going with a straight sump setup then it dosnt really matter where u put it. IMO
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #15

paul weck is right if you plan on having fish such as mandarins which copepods are essential then dont put your skimmer in the final part of your sump.

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer, stuck

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com