protein skimmer..im stuck!!!..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snickers450

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys..i would like to get some advice from the pro's regarding on a new protein skimmer that i purchased..it is an ESHOPPS PSK-100..and it is a in sump protein skimmer..i've assembled it together like what the directions said..but im stuck..what do i need to do next?..i know that i need a sump..but what do i need to connect it to the tank..do i simply buy a pipe to connect it to the tank or what??..please help guys..im really excited to put my tank together..TIA..

Attachments

• 2011-10-02 14.12.31.jpg
    2011-10-02 14.12.31.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 2011-10-02 14.12.55.jpg
    2011-10-02 14.12.55.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 97
just set it in the sump and turn it on. Then adjust the water height in the cup. that's it.

what do you mean?..so how's the clean water would go back to the tank..im very confuse..from my understanding..i need to put the skimmer into the sump and that's it right..i know that i sound stupid right now..but im really confuse..thanks for the reply KDOGG85..

Just place it in your sump. It will work best in 7"-10" of water, so you may need to build a stand for it depending on how your sump is laid out.
The water will get sucked into the skimmer thru the pump and it will come out thru the T near the bottom of the tall pipe.

Also, it looks like the elbow the pump is connected to is upside down. It should be pointing toward the bottom of the skimmer.

thanks for you reply ccCAPT..yeah i'll double check the elbow..ok let me see if i get this right..so the sump should have a tube or pipe connected to the tank in order for it to siphon water from the tank..right???then put the protein skimmer in the sump???

so all i need is the OVERFLOW BOX and a SUMP..and let gravity do the work..ok i got it now..i guess??..LOL..thanks ccCAPT..ok i have one more question..what would i be able to eliminate if i have a drilled tank?..thanks for your patience..

If you bought a tank already drilled it would have the oveflows built in and you wouldn't need the overflow box.
Do you have a pump to get the water from the sump back up into the tank?

thanks for your patience ccCAPT..i have not purchased any tank yet..im still trying to weigh all of my options..so, if i buy a drilled tank all i need to have is a sump pump right?..so that the water would circulate from the tank to the sump..but if do not have a drilled tank i need an overflow box and a sump pump..right?.can you check this item for me and give me some feed back please..
Over flow Box Kit free pump Included | eBay
or any suggestions..BTW i would be buying a 75 gallon tank in 2 weeks..what do you prefer drilled or not drilled..thanks..

That overflow kits looks OK, but I would do some research on that pump first to see what kind of flow rate you will get with head pressure. If the sump is 4' below the tank, you need a strong pump to move the water uphill.

I prefer a drilled tank. It makes plumbing it much easier. You can take a look at my build thread (the link in in my signature) to get an idea of how a drilled tank and sump is setup.

I also recommend getting a drilled tank. It doesn't cost that much more and you don't have to worry about losing syphon from an overflow box.

As for the pump, find one that closely matches the flow rating of the overflow. If the height from the bottom of the sump to the top of the tank is 4 ft, get a pump that matches the overflow rating at 4ft.

all you need is an over flow box and sump you could make them your self its very inexpensive if you look at my diy post on my profile you could see how i have my protein skimmer set up in my refugium all i paid for the overflow and refugium was about 55 dollars so if you ahve any questions on how to do it let me know. also i recommend you put your skimmer in the last part of your refugium next to your water return submersible pump. heres a link to how i have mine set-up home made overflow and refugium sump - YouTube

a drilled tank is the way to go. and make sure on in your return line u put a small hole just under the water line in the DT to break any siphon going from the dt to the sump witch would most likely overflow the sump. i would advise against putting your skimmer in the last section of the sump. if u ever plan on getting adding a fuge to house some copepods or any other type of live foo, u dont want you skimmer sucking up all your pods. allow your skimmer to remove most of the unwanted waste before flowing through your fuge then back to the dt. if u are not planning on ever have a refuge and going with a straight sump setup then it dosnt really matter where u put it. IMO

paul weck is right if you plan on having fish such as mandarins which copepods are essential then dont put your skimmer in the final part of your sump.

Back
Top Bottom