Protein Skimmer on a 40 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've used the search thread and really been unable to find anything by way of protein skimmers for a 40 gallon. Nothing real recent anyway. I've seen a lot of members talking about the Reef Octopus product and I have no doubt they are good. That being said I'm wondering what anybody else is using. I'm not going to be doing a sump for this tank any and all input is appreciated.
:thanks:

People will laugh but I use the prizm skimmer with a surface skimmer added. It was cheap and does the job for 40 g and under. As bad as people say it is, it does a better job than a seaclone 100/150 which skimmed nothing.
I like the small thin sleek look as a hang on skimmer.

If money is no object then nothing compares to the aquaC remora.

People will laugh but I use the prizm skimmer with a surface skimmer added. It was cheap and does the job for 40 g and under. As bad as people say it is, it does a better job than a seaclone 100/150 which skimmed nothing.
I like the small thin sleek look as a hang on skimmer.

If money is no object then nothing compares to the aquaC remora.

Can you provide a link to your skimmer?

Go Reef Octo BH-1000. I run it on my 55 gallon. It's excellent.

Go Reef Octo BH-1000. I run it on my 55 gallon. It's excellent.

I really like the Bubble Magus skimmers. They are a good blend of quality and value. I run one of these on my 57 gallon reef and love it:
Bubble Magus BM-NAC3+ Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'll check into all of these. Prizm looks simple and easy to use, cool design too. The Reef Octopus mentioned had one really bad review, but 4 or 5 others to counteract.
That Reef Octo doesn't look like an HOB and I'm not really into plumbing unless it's as simple as doing a canister filter. How/where does the reef Octo skimmer mount?

I'm using the octopus and have been for a couple years.. From experience it's fantastic and I highly recommend I also have a 40 gal

I had a HOB Aquafuge with protein skimmer on my 30. The skimmer was not near as good as a dedicated unit but I think it made up for that with the fuge. I added a cheato ball and light to it and my nitrates dropped from high to zero in a few weeks.

No other than trimming the sponges and relocating the internal ones...

I was just checking around and came across the Tunze 9004. The price seems reasonable and I've seen other people mention some of their other products with good things to say. Anybody heard of or have first hand knowledge of these?

No first hand knowledge but have heard good things. They make some quality products generally.

Back
Top Bottom