Protein skimmer or algae scrubber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can some one fill me in on whether using one or the other is better? Any body using only a scrubber or using both? I currently have a protein skimmer for a 60 gallon reef with 20 gallon sump.

I have seen both systems at work although the system with the algae scrubber had few fish and nitrite levels kept at a minimum due to its lower feeding levels it also allowed the corals to feed more with out the the nutrients being skimmed out by a protein skimmer at the same time it also stabilizes your ph at night when your aquarium lights are off and your scrubber lights are on. A system with a protein skimmer can handle a heavier biological load and can easily remove waste and thus for lowering the nitrites and nitrates more effeciently. Corals are very sensitive to nitrites and a protein skimmer is almost a must for those involved in husbandry although some experimenting with scrubbers have succeeded quite well . I personally run both and I just turn off my protein skimmer when feeding my corals.

Thanks..was just wondering what would benefit me bettetr. I think ill just stick to the protein skimmer

Back
Top Bottom