Protein Skimmer Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you own a protein Skimmer?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I don't plan on getting one.

• No, but I might get one in the future

• Total voters

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering getting a protein skimmer for my 72g tank so I thought I'd do a poll to see how many people own skimmers and if they feel they are worth it.

Yes, and I think it is almost a requirement for a SW set up. I have a CPR BAK PAK 2.

Yeah mine gets so much junk in it that I won't run my tank w/o one. I just make sure to do w/c's often to keep all the good stuff in the water.

I got this in a a few days on a 15g tank that did not have any fish in it:

rem0.jpg

That tank got at least one water change a week and I only feed one every 10 days to keep the inverts alive. I never plan to run a marine tank again without a skimmer after seeing the junk it can pull out.

I'm not getting one for my 20 gal but I plan on getting an aqua C remora for my 72 im putting together.

Highly suggest it - weekly empties seem appropriate thou someone with more experience could suggest different

Empties when the cup is 3/4 full...once the junk is in the cup..it's not in the tank. It's cleaning the riser and so forth that I would suggest have a more rigid cleaning regimen. Every couple of weeks..all depending on how much waste you are collecting in the cup

My tank have been without one since the beginning. I did try one but it was not working right so I took it out.

My underpowered skimmer pulls out tons of junk from my 110g reef. I have a few tanks with real cheap skimmers and a tank w/ no skimmer.

IMO, skimmers are by no means necessary depending onw what you plan on keeping and your setup. Frequent water changes, running GAC, and be very careful on amounts of food provided to the tank will help a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom