Protein skimmer problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a quick line before work here guys and gals. I have having problems with my coralife super skimmer 220 I can get it to make small bubble into the neck but it will not make the foam I am use to with my older red Sea skimmer. I do get Green gunk stuck to the inside of of the neck but it doesnt seem to make any large bubbles or Foam that rise out into the collection cup and any dry foam. I can make it produce some Green water if I adjust up the water coloum so that the small bubbles are at the top of the neck. But I am really looking to make some dry foam.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a coralife super skimmer also and it seems like I have to "break it in" everytime I change something (PWC, top off, after feeding [which I power it off during feeding or it goes nuts], or powering it off to clean the collection cup). It seems more difficult to regulate than it should be. Since I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is the first skimmer I've ever owned I wasn't sure if it's the skimmer, or me. It basiclly has two flow controls. The first is a flow valve on the intake between the needle wheel and the chamber. According to the instructions this valve should only be used for the initial break in period and should remain fully open after that. The other is the water level control knob on the exhaust side to control the water level in the chamber. This knob is what you are supposed to use to control foam production. With mine, I find that I have to keep the water level control knob turned to the lowest point and use the intake valve to control the foam hieght or the collection cup with fill up rapidly, fast enough that I'm afraid it will start to overflow when I'm asleep or away from home. Eventually, after a day or so, it will get to where it functions like it's supposed to, after several "tweaks".

Not trying to highjack a thread but thought maybe this maybe common with Coralife needlewheel skimmers? Common with most venturi style skimmers?

Skimmer is about 3 to 4 weeks old. It will produce wet overflow that is dirty but it fills up the collection cup in like 1 hour I am thinking its either an airflow problem or and adjustment problem. Could use some Tips on adjusting it. I bought it from Dr FostersandSmith.com (dont know why I put that out thier like that) Just worried I am not doing right by my fishes. What will spike with a non performing skimmer Nitrate's ?

The CSS skimmers just aren't very good. You can upgrade the pump to a GenX 2400 needlewheel and that will improve the performance quite a bit. With the stock pump, just make sure the nipple where the airline attached to the venturi isn't clogged with salt creep. There isn't really much else you can do to improve it beside messing with the adjustment knob.
Since I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is the first skimmer I've ever owned I wasn't sure if it's the skimmer, or me.
It's the skimmer. ;)

Coralife Supper Skimmer 220 Problems

I bought my new 220 model from Dr Foster & Smith and I am having the same problems, I have everything correct, I have micro bubbles but no foam. I plugged my skimmer in last Friday and still nothing. The micro bubbles are 3 in in the tube. Any help? I have tried everything the directions/trouble shoot tells you. I have cut my tube a few times, I am now at about 3" under water in my sump.

I think I figured it out. I bet your tank is relatively new. I put in a sailfin tang and two days latter the foam consistency was changing to the more familiar dryish, lighter, foamy with some color. My guess is that since my tank was clean to begin with, the foam was too. Id like to hear if that's the case for you Terry.

Super Skimmer Problems

Thank you are your reply!!! My tank has been up and running going on two yrs. I have a 4" clown trigger,4" undulated trigger and a 16 inch eel. They are very messy eaters. I talked to the Coralife tech department and he said it sounds like the pump is not pushing enough to make foam, I have great micro bubbles but no foam. I took the pump off of my 125 model and placed it on my 220 model and it started working (foam) right away. They are sending me a new pump.

Terry_teater1 who did you contact and what was your outcome I am still having problems with it.

I contacted the warranty department. The number is 1-800-255-4527. I spoke with Rob, it is always the same couple guys. He sent me a new pump (free/free shipping) and it fixed my problem. How long have you had the skimmer? I bought mine new and it took almost two weeks to break in, for the first two days I had the micro bubbles turned down. I have my pump two inches under water and the micro bubbles is three inches tall in the collection cup cone. I had to set mine and just leave it alone for a few days then it started to work really good once cone had bacteria build up. I hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more question. Terry

What about the inlet can i place my venturi on the end of it the model of pump on the skimmer i have now has the venturi on the front of the skimmer I believe its a 3/4 inlet I can see the inlet on any of the pictures that i can find.

Back
Top Bottom