Protein Skimmer Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnsonw2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking to purchase my first protein skimmer. I have done quite a bit of research and BELIEVE I have found what I am looking for.

I have a 42 Gallon Bow front tank without a sump. The tank dimensions are 36"x17"x21" There is no room for an in tank skimmer with my rock scape.
The tank has been up for about five- six months. As of now the tank is FOWLR but when the tank matures further I would like to begin a reef.:ROFLMAO:

I understand a good rule of thumb is to buy a protein skimmer recommended for double a tanks capacity. I am deciding between either the Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB or the Reef Octopus BH2000 HOB.

The BH1000 seems like it would provide fairly well for my tank but I was wondering if I should spend the extra $30ish for the BH2000 instead of rebuying down the road. I would love to upgrade to a larger tank and add a sump but I believe I will be with this setup for 2-5 years.

Although most reviews I have read said micro-bubbles were limited after break-in they are still a concern of mine. Will the BH2000 create more micro-bubbles?

As i said earlier I have never had any experience with a protein skimmer before and your advice is greatly appreciated before I make a purchase.

THANK YOU!

Gettin ants in my pants about this purchase. Cant hold myself back. I want a protein skimmer NOW lol

If anyone owns one of these models and would like to share some input I would appreciate it but come tomorrow morning i will most likely just buy one. Thanks

Reef Octopus makes great skimmers, and with skimmers bigger is always better. Afraid I can't answer the question about the microbubbles, as my Reef Octopus is an in sump rather than HOB.

Thank you! I was looking for any input and that was enough to secure my mindset into making my purchase

Back
Top Bottom