Protein skimmer question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got my set-up used so I am not sure of the brand of some of the items. I do know that my filter system is a Marineland Tidepool 2 but I do not know about the skimmer. My question is, it appears that the skimmer is to be set up withen the sump tank and the water from the main tank drains directly into the skimmer via one of the drains. I don't believe that is the normal sump skimmer operation. It has a Rio 2100 pump that the intake and exhaust fit directly to the skimmer and another tube is used to bring in water. (I will get pics asap). Has anyone heard of this before?

I'm trying to upload the pictures but it's not happening. I have seen places on the net that talk about a gravity fet skimmer that comes straight from the tank. Anyone heard of this? I will continue to try and upload the pictures...

Okay, here are the pics. Any ideas on this thing? The tube you see facing you is the one that attached to one of the overflows from the 125 gallon tank.
attachment.php

Attachments

• skimmer with ph.jpg
    skimmer with ph.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 393
The external version is the Aquamedic Turboflotor Multi SL. It can be used in sump, or HoB either on tank or on sump.

Here's the documentation for your skimmer:
http://www.aqua-medic.com/products/docs/T1000_Stand_Alone.pdf

One of the main reasons for a skimmer being fed from the drain (gravity fed) is that the water is taken from the tank's top 2mm or so where the water is most protein rich.

In some gravity fed skimmers, no pump at all is needed.

Just google "Gravity fed Skimmer Benefits" and the like, and you should find all your answers.

One of the main reasons for a skimmer being fed from the drain (gravity fed) is that the water is taken from the tank's top 2mm or so where the water is most protein rich.

I'm not so sure about that, with proper flow at the surface it would seem that the proteins would be fairly equally dispersed.

Also note that the directions say the flow should not exceed 250 gph or it should be T'd off to not exceed that flow value. You'd either need a very small overflow or a T.

It were me, I'd run it from the sump and let my drain and return do what they are already doing... Working correctly I presume.

Back
Top Bottom