Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Protein Skimmer Question

Would it be a MUST for a 38G fish only tank? I was at a fish shop today and the owner said they are only a MUST for reef aquariums. What do you think?

Old 10-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 125 fish only no LR at all! And i have never ran a protien skimmer. I would say invest in a good UV sterilizer thoe. A protien skimmer wont hurt any thing if thats what your asking if anything it would help. I've just never bought one. Afriend of mine has 150 fish only and he runs a protien skimmer and allways has nitrite problems not to say thats what's causing it but then who knows?

Old 10-02-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

protien skimmers are a good investment. They remove alot of sludge that would possibly sit at the top of your tank hurting the gas exchange. I would say that even a smaller tank would benefit from one... besides the smaller the tank the more seseptable to problems from minor changes in chemistry. Why not do everything possible to prevent that. Get a small one when you can afford it.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well a god skimmer remove stuff from the water before it can break down and turn in to no2 and no3.

kmyers18 what fish dose your friend have? it sounds like his tank might be over stocked or have some really messy feeders.

i would run a skimmer on every sw tank that is less then 20 gal. if you are going to get one dont get the cheapest. spend the $$$ on one now and it will payoff in the long run.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO a skimmer is a needed item... Even before a UV light. I have a 55 fowlr and I have a reef devil in the sump. I also run a reef devil on my 125 reef. Less water changes and problems trying to keep water quality in check. If you have good water quality this is less stress on the fish so they won't get sick and need a UV. Been UV free in my 55 fowlr from the beginning.... 7/03 I have a SFE, DF Puffer, Toby puffer, yellow tang (ya I know), pseudochromis, wrasse, 2 clowns and a ember blenny and they are all happy. I also run a 20 gal fuge which keep my NO3 at 5ppm. they make some small HOB skimmers.....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't let everyone sweat ya on the yellow tang thing... I have one in my 55g that is thriving fine. Yes he is active but he is also very healthy... I don't think there is any scientific research that says a yellow tang will live longer in a 75 or 90 gallon (which is the same length anyways as a 55) than a 55g.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

FWIW, I just finished building two skimmers. One is a fairly small skimmer for my 10-gal tank and it seems to be working nicely. I haven't tested NH3/NO2/NO3 yet as I just put it into operation over the past weekend. The other one I built is larger and I am testing it out in a bucket of old water that I had. Both have produced foam. The smaller one started producing some really nasty-smelling, brown, gunky foam about 90 minutes after I started it up. My water clarity did improve some overnight after I started the skimmer up in the 10-gal tank. The larger one is foaming, but not as fast as the smaller one...I think I need to modify the design a little to make it work better. I'll post up measurements and such later if anyone is interested.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

diver,

please do post your construction plans and instructions. a lot of people will benefit from it.

As far as a skimmer being a 'must'...it'll definitely make maintaining your tank easier, and provide cleaner water for a more stable habitat. In a fish only, it's optional, but a wise investment...something to buy or build down the road.
In a reef system, it's a must. In a FOWLR setup, I'd say get one.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everything I have read says that a skimmer is a must in a smaller tank. After seeing the improvements in water quality in my little tank, I would have to agree.
I'll make up some nice drawings and instructions once I get the bugs worked out of the designs and make sure that both skimmers work as they are intended to work. I don't want to post up crap that won't work.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

What Skimmer would you guys suggest for a 38 gallon tank? I was thinking about getting the SeaClone 100, but I heard some bad things from various posters on it. Any suggestions?

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com