Protein skimmer questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scelzin1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, my name is nick and I'm new to the aquarium hobby. I recently purchased both a 55 gal tank and a 240gal tank and plan on setting up both with saltwater fowlr (but may do reefs as I get more experienced). Anyway I plan on setting up my 55 gal tank first to get used to the ins and outs of the hobby and gain experience before starting up the 240 gal aquarium.

Anyway here is my question. I am currently shopping for protein skimmers and need advice. Everything I read/see about the Aqua C Remora hang on skimmers seems great, but wanted to get some advice on which protein skimmers are top of the line etc. ? And if anyone owns an Aqua C remora skimmer what their review would be?

Thanks for any help and I look forward to posting more in the future

my personal opinion. use the 55 as sump for the 240, and with saltwater frankly with any type of aquarium more volume is always better, it is more forgiving to beginner hobbiest. if a death or any type of ammonia spike occurs there is more water volume to dilute it and keep levels lower to give your inhabitants a better chance of surviving, and you don't have to start off with a big population you can still go small and work up as you get more comfortable and begin to learn how life in your aquarium is effected by changes and how to correct them

Thanks Gti_leo. Any recommendation for protein skimmers? Not really on a budget just want good quality

I agree with Gti best way to go As for a skimmer if you dont mind dropping a grand look into the next reef skimmers I have there nsx1 xl on my 180 and love it It's way over built It and pulls a ton of skimmate here's a link shop around you may find it for
less It is tall though so be sure it will fit under you stand
NextReef NXS1 XL Internal/External Protein Skimmer

Back
Top Bottom