Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve149c

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a protein skimmer for my new marine tank (its all in the planning stages). I have got a 270Litre tank (approx 70 US Gallon). There are two options available to me :

(1) A hang on the back protein skimmer (external)
(2) An external one, such as Deltec APF 600 Protein Skimmer, underneath the tank.

I have no sump, and I can't find the required information anywhere. My question is:

Can I put the external Deltec APF 600 Protein Skimmer underneath the tank, this would mean a maximum return height of 230cm from the base of the protein skimmer. Is this acceptable? Would I have to fit another pump to boost this? Or am I just better going for the hang on the back, such as a Red Sea Prizm Protein Skimmer?

Thanks again

Steve

My only experience is with The AquaMedic Turboflotor 1000 Multi. Its a hang on back or can be used as in sump it can be used in a Multi of ways. It does a great job it is rather large though about 18" high and 6" wide

I too would go with a HOB skimmer. The output from a PS is generally not pumped. It just flows back into the tank (hob) or is discharged into the sump.

The 1000 multi needs at least a 6" clearance from the wall. Actually I think it requires around 8" due to a couple of protuberances

That Deltec won't work. You can't pump the water from the skimmer up into the tank. It would have so much back pressure the water would pour out from the collection cup.
Check out the Deltec MC500 or MCE600.

Back
Top Bottom