Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have had my tank up and running for around 8 months now 25 gallons 30lbs of lr. My question is now that my tank is fairly established with baterica etc. Can i get rid of my HOB filter? ( i know most dont even use a hob filter on SW) I would like to add a protein skimmer. Just curious of the pros/ cons. Thanks guys

In general I would have some more rock in there, especially since you are relying on it more than larger tanks with sumps, fuge, etc. I would aim for at least 2 pounds per gallon, I had 3 per gallon. You can add dry rock for about $2/lb and it will become live rock eventually. I would do this unless you cheaped out on the rock you have and still need to get some high quality live rock (you need to have some good stuff in there to bring in the diversity in the first place).

To your actual question, yes, you should be able to ditch the HOB if you really want to, but it is better to have it and maintain it properly than just to ditch it.

If you can keep up a good water change schedule on that tank you don't need a skimmer, but it is a good idea to have one. If you decide to get one do not get a nano skimmer or one rated for your tank, you would want one rated for much larger. A small HOB would be fine, even a Seaclone would be beneficial.

Yes i was always curious what a skimmers role in the tank if a filter was present. Truthfully, there just is not enough room for 2 hob components on a 2 foot long tank with the heater. I was actually going to add around 20 more lb of dry rock for a better aqua-scape because im taking my fowlr to a reef tank since i finally got the cash for a reef led light. I do a 10% change about every week - 2 weeks.

Try to keep it to every week, you will prevent 95% of the problems you will ever encounter by keeping up with the water changes. When anything does go wrong do them more frequently, not larger. When I had algae problems after a vacation I had to do daily water changes for a week and it got it right back to normal.

If you get a skimmer I would ditch the HOB filter. You may still need some flow but a small powerhead will suffice (the Koralia Evolutions are a good option, they come in Nano sizes).

A skimmer removes many types of waste, some of which breakdown into nitrate. They are definitely worth it and IME help keep a tank a little more stable. Small tanks are especially sensitive to overfeeding, which skimmers can help minimize the effects of.

Back
Top Bottom