protein skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TenaciousTriggerFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I am a aquarist on a tight budget going by priority while putting his fifty five gallon SW aquarium together piece by piece (salt, filter, heater etc...) what is a protein skimmer??? and do I need NEED it??? Or is it like a bubbler is it optional???

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
Hello, I am a aquarist on a tight budget going by priority while putting his fifty five gallon SW aquarium together piece by piece (salt, filter, heater etc...) what is a protein skimmer??? and do I need NEED it??? Or is it like a bubbler is it optional???[/QUOTE

so I'll start off telling you I am a freshwater guy who hasn't yet made the jump to salt so probably not the most qualified person to answer this question but I'll give it a shot, protein skimmers as far as I've read and been told are mostly or all about nutient/waste export, basically from what I understand they are there to help remove proteins, waste, excess soluable matter in the aquarium water, this I believe is what you see in the ocean as sea foam churned up by wave action(I could be completely wrong on that part) but the short of it is that you can get away without one by doing frequent water changes but the expense of salt and either using an ro/di or purchasing water at the rate needed to do those water changes can get costly in a very short period of time, so if you can purchase a protein skimmer that helps extend the useful lifespan of the water in your tank it will save you considerable money in the long run by helping to maintain the proper levels in your aquarium, I hope that helps a bit, but again I want to say I'm a freshwater guy so it' very possible I've got this somewhat wrong

Reactions: HN1
U don't want to get like jumped but I never do water changes in my saltwater tanks.... And hardly ever with my fw ....

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
U don't want to get like jumped but I never do water changes in my saltwater tanks.... And hardly ever with my fw ....

that'slike me as long as the test kit looks good the water stays put, probably one of the reasons I haven't tried salt yet

Water changes arent just to remove excess nutrients, you also need to do them to bring the used nutrients back into the water. Natural seawater has over 100 elements I believe in it and you need to replenish them. :)

Some people do get away without doing pwc's but those who do it like their tank and inhabitats to thrive rather than just survive,A protein skimmer is a must on your tank and as stated will save you a lot of money in the long run,if money is tight get a used one but make sure you clean it thoroughly with bleach,rinse well and air dry until no smell of bleach is present.Try to get a skimmer rated for 75-100g.

Water changes arent just to remove excess nutrients, you also need to do them to bring the used nutrients back into the water. Natural seawater has over 100 elements I believe in it and you need to replenish them. :)

I am a firm believer in water changes it is one of the best things for a tank. You can get by without a skimmer. Even with a skimmer you have to do water changes in a saltwater tank. I got a lot of grade A products from someone that didn't think he had to do water changes. Last I heard he is was going to set up another tank with all new better equipment hopefully this will turn out better.

Back
Top Bottom