protein skimmers will they help lower nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elke

Aquarium Advice Regular
looking at getting a insump protein skimmer to will this help in keeping nitrates under control and what other benefits will i get from this and what will i lose or have to do to keep my tank heathly ex. will i need to dose my tank with products to keep in oreder since skimming takes out everything..

protein skimmers pretty much remove DOC before they can be converted into trites, and trates. It wouldnt help lower it, but it would help a bit in keeping it from rising as much.

If you have problems with nitrates, if you havent already, PWC are a start. Might want to look into maybe a refugium, and grow some caulerpa or something similar, that will help substantionaly in your nitrate problems

HTH's

already grow culerpa in my sump i do 25%wc every sat. salt is getting a little costly i know that there 22in of fish in my tank bout that aint really all that over stocked for nitrates to get out of control....

The protein skimmer would be a good investment for you tank. It will help removing the organics out of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom