Protein Skimming with an Ecosystem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNEMO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 137 Gallon tank with an overflow box. Then underneath my tank is an 30 gallon Ecosystem tank. How do I incorporate a Protein Skimmer? It won't fit in the first or last sections of the Ecosystem and I don't want to put it in the Mud area.

Do I sit it next to the Ecosystem and if so does the overflow water run into the Skimmer first then into the Ecosystem?? What type of pump do I need??

Isn't the Ecosystem essentially a sump?

Sounds like you should put the skimmer beside the ecosystem, rather than inside it.

sorry.. :oops:

You'll have to pull water out of the ecosystem, through the skimmer, then back into the ecosystem. I don't think it matters too much where you pull it from or put it back to.

As for what size pump...whatever the skimmer can handle.

Brad you weren't far off at all. While it may require draining and drilling your ecosystems sump you can run an external skimmer and have it return into the pump chamber of the ecosystems sump. I don't recall offhand what size pump comes with the ecosystem but I don't think it is a brute by any means? I would recommend considering selling the eco and getting a larger sump with a fuge. Is this a reef tank?

OR (brainstorm as I hit submit) you could split your drain from the tank directly into an external pump for the skimmer and have it return into the pump chamber of the eco... Just a thought

Yes,

The Ecosystem is a 30 gallon sump but it has Bioballs in the first section where the tank water drains into. That section is only 4 1/2 W x 11 1/2 L inches. The main part of the Ecosystem has 2 inches of Mud in the bottom with Culerpa growing in it. The last section I have a RIO 32HF return pump. Is there a Skimmer that will fit in the first section? Does the overflow water from the tank run into the Skimmer first?

Maybe I should call the Skimmer Manufacturer. I was considering an AquaC brand. Is this a good one???

if you mean by ecosystem a refugium type thing, then i was gonna be doing the same thing, i am buying a mud filter and its got a refugium built in and all that, it goes underneath and is like a sump, when discussing this with my lfs guy, he said that the skimmer in the unit would take out all the good stuff from the water like what the culpera and such are going to be adding to the tank, he suggested that for the skimming to get a hang on back, which makes sense to me, and im not sure if this is what you are doing, but hope it helps

I have local customers who run the ecosystem and i sold them remoras to hang on the side of the sump on the retrun side. Just extend the pump down into the watrer with a piece of clear tubing from pump to skimmer.

Thanks for the help. After reading the Aqua C's web page I plan on buying an EV-180 and sit it next to my Ecosystem. I have about 160 gallons that need to be skimmed so the hang on the tank ones are too small. It will be easier to clean and monitor if I just run a tube into the sump area. I'll check out your site for one.

Thanks again! :D

Back
Top Bottom