Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-14-2005, 08:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I"ve not seen on in real life, or used one...but looking at those photos, it looks VERY much like the HOB my LFS uses on thier 200gallon display tank. About the same size too (maybe thiers is a little bigger than the coralife but not by much).

I think I read a post where someone had it and liked it, so you might try searching the site for a little more feedback. Coralife is typically a good brand to go with, and those needle wheel pumps are very effective.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by malkore
an MJ 1200 is something like 295gph, but when it runs a skimmer, you're probably at 150gph, and that's just the intake. The water churns inside the skimmer, and flows out into the tank at probably 60gph.
sorry, but not entirely correct. yes, you will see a reduction in the flowrate because the pump is rated based on its maximum flow capacity (with no resistance) but, for the skimmer, water flow in = water flow out. there is no other place for the flow of water to go. so your flowrates are going to be equal.

55gal FOWLR,
DIY stand and Hood,
AquaC Remora,
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Got it, will continue to do further research. Also, is it true you should wait for about 3 months after setting up the tank to add any skimmer?
nsu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't think theres a set date. Some skim from day one, some don't skim until they buy the skimmer a year later. Based on your sig, it work hurt to skim, but then again, you don't really need to skim because well if damsels can handle cycling, I don't think high nitrates will faze them.

If you have the money, might as well get it now and have some fun. Otherwise you can wait until you start adding more delicate livestock in your tank. It's all up to you.
15 Gallon
2 O. Clownfish
4 Chromis
Coco Worm
Feather Duster
Cleanup Crew
21# LR
Coralife Aqualight
-36W 10000K
-36W Actinic
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Aquaclear 50 filter
Aquaclear 20 ph
Marineland Visitherm 50W heater
lasek2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I bought a prizm deluxe on ebay for $40.00 for my 32 gal hex and it works great.
Mike Jones
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Good to know. Thanks.

nsu7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com