Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via Yahoo to qwerty
protien skimmer for a 20 gallon tank

i am wanting to take the plunge and finally start a saltwater tank. ive kept african cichlids for years but have remained intimidated by the saltwater world.im finally going to try it and want to start with a 20 gallon tank i have (and most likely move up in size as i become more confident)

my question is about a protien skimmer for a 20 gallon (tall) tank.
any any advice is appreciated

has anyone used the
Danner Supreme Skilter 250 ?

what im hoping to find is a resonably priced skimmer that isnt overkill and larger than my tank

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #2
Skilters are okay but they are rather noisy and not the most efficient. I would also not recommend a tall tank. Having less top surface area makes it much harder to maintain healthy parameters as well as increasing the cost budget on lighting if you have a mind for corals.

If you do not already have a tank purchased, I would suggest uping the size to a 45 gal or the like. Believe it or not, larger tanks are much much easier to maintain than smaller ones. As for the skimmer, I would opt for a Aqua C w/maxi jet 1200 or a BakPak for a smaller tank (30 gal under) or an Aqua C Remora Pro w/Mag 350 for a larger system (30-90 gal). Don't go "thrifty" on this kind of equipment if you decide on getting one. You do get what you pay for and spending $30.00 may not sound like much but if the skimmer cannot keep up, it's $30.00 wasted.

I have a BakPak on my 27 gal and it's at the limit of it's performance IMO.

20 gallon, skimmer, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com