Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Protien Skimmers

I know this has been discussed at some length in the forums but I'm going to ask any way

75 gal, SW, FO (no fish yet), CC, Wet/dry, No LR, sand etc.

We don't know what kind of fish, size or quantity yet. If it was your tank what skimmer would you buy?

Old 02-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

AquaC Urchin Pro or EV 180, or an appropriately sized EuroReef skimmer or ASM skimmer.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree...Aqua C EV 120 or 180 with an external pump if your wet/dry is drilled and you want to run the skimmer externally. Next choice would be an ASM G-2X or equivalent Euroreef model for an in sump skimmer...if you have room...they have a large footprint. If space is tight, the Aqua C Urchin Pro with a Mag 3 pump.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My wet/dry is pretty small. I thought it was a 20 gal but it looks smaller... I'll have to measure. I don't think I have room for in sump. When you say "drilled" exactly what to you mean and... how do you feel about the hang on type?
Old 02-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
When you say "drilled" exactly what to you mean and
Drilled as in there is a hole in the wet/dry so that you can connect an external pump and plumb the PVC right through the side of the filter. If you can't do this, you would have to go with a in-sump skimmer.

Quote:
how do you feel about the hang on type?
There are a couple good HOB skimmers. CPR makes a Dual Bak-Pak that will skim a tank up to 100 gallons. Personally, I like the Remora Pro though. Great HOB skimmer that will skim a tank up to 120 gallons
Old 02-22-2004, 04:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info. There is no hole so it's time to measure the avail. space for the Aqua C EV 120 or 180. I have a feeling I'll end up with a Remora Pro HOB.

You guys rock!
Old 02-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The EV series are a little harder on the pocket, but they are one helluva skimmer. The Remora Pro is no piece of junk either. Which ever one you purchase, you won't regret it.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Hmm...you might look at a Turboflotor Multi as well. While I have no personal experience with this skimmer, I have heard nothing but good reviews here about it. Another option anyway.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I would go with the EV series myself, likely the EV-120 for a 75g. I ran my EV-120 outside the sump on a platform with no problems FWIW.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wish the lfs had some of these models to actually look at. The all seem to carry just one or two brands. I'll pull the trigger and buy one online with in the next week or 2. Thanks for all of the input.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com