Protien Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrkalot

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know this has been discussed at some length in the forums but I'm going to ask any way ;)

75 gal, SW, FO (no fish yet), CC, Wet/dry, No LR, sand etc.

We don't know what kind of fish, size or quantity yet. If it was your tank what skimmer would you buy?

I agree...Aqua C EV 120 or 180 with an external pump if your wet/dry is drilled and you want to run the skimmer externally. Next choice would be an ASM G-2X or equivalent Euroreef model for an in sump skimmer...if you have room...they have a large footprint. If space is tight, the Aqua C Urchin Pro with a Mag 3 pump.

My wet/dry is pretty small. I thought it was a 20 gal but it looks smaller... I'll have to measure. I don't think I have room for in sump. When you say "drilled" exactly what to you mean and... how do you feel about the hang on type?

When you say "drilled" exactly what to you mean and

Drilled as in there is a hole in the wet/dry so that you can connect an external pump and plumb the PVC right through the side of the filter. If you can't do this, you would have to go with a in-sump skimmer.

how do you feel about the hang on type?

There are a couple good HOB skimmers. CPR makes a Dual Bak-Pak that will skim a tank up to 100 gallons. Personally, I like the Remora Pro though. Great HOB skimmer that will skim a tank up to 120 gallons

Thanks for the info. There is no hole so it's time to measure the avail. space for the Aqua C EV 120 or 180. I have a feeling I'll end up with a Remora Pro HOB.

You guys rock!

The EV series are a little harder on the pocket, but they are one helluva skimmer. The Remora Pro is no piece of junk either. Which ever one you purchase, you won't regret it.

:)

Hmm...you might look at a Turboflotor Multi as well. While I have no personal experience with this skimmer, I have heard nothing but good reviews here about it. Another option anyway.

I would go with the EV series myself, likely the EV-120 for a 75g. I ran my EV-120 outside the sump on a platform with no problems FWIW.

I wish the lfs had some of these models to actually look at. The all seem to carry just one or two brands. I'll pull the trigger and buy one online with in the next week or 2. Thanks for all of the input.

i like e.t.s.s. brand skimmers. they are as good as aqua c or euroreef at 1/2 the price. check them out, but remember when buying a skimer the price usually doesn't include the pump.

Whilest at the lfs we picked up a skimmer but not one of the ones recommended *duck and hide*

We purchased a 100A TOP FATHOM PROTEIN SKIMMER and a Mag 3 pump. They were using these themselves and have been for a very long time. Here's to hoping we didn't toss money out the window.

Back
Top Bottom