Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
Not to sidetrack anything but I remember putting a lot of thought into what happened with that tank. It was on a dresser I don't have anymore and I wonder if the wood it was sitting on might not have been completely flat. Like a tiny bit of warping or something? I never did figure it out. It was a 10 gallon fry tank so it just had a tiny bit of substrate and a few fake plants with a filter and a heater. It was cracked long-ways completely along the bottom. As in, this is how it looked (with ~ symbolizing the crack):

|                   |
|    ~~~~~~~~~~~    |
|                   |
Guess there's not much point in worrying about it now, I'd just rather not have a tank spill 29 gallons of water onto my new apartment. One question though, where do you guys buy your tanks? I'm pretty sure both of mine were just top fin-like tanks. After looking at the 2 major pet chains (where I bought my tank) and the 29 gallon kits, it might be a top fin kit.

Also, another off topic, I think I'll switch up the guppies for 6 endlers which would be less overall fish, and also trade the bronze corys for fake julii ones which are a half inch smaller. It puts the AqAdvisor tool at 88% stock which is still high for my tastes.

Pylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
A warped dresser could certainly cause a glass tank to crack. The corners are what you have to watch out for.

Just keep in mind, glass tanks have been around for a long time. If they were prone to breaking and leaking all over the place acrylic would be ruling the market, which it certainly is not. To this day the vast majority of 10g+ tanks are still made of glass.

I had glass tanks throughout my teens, never had an issue. My Dad has had so many tanks I can't even count, and I don't recall him ever having an issue either.

Personally I have a 29g Aqueon tank I bought at a local chain pet store (Jacks Pets). Not top of the line, but I trust it. Tetra has a lifetime warranty on all tanks over 10g, so they must be decent as well. Aqueon, Tetra, and Top Fin are the only brands I ever recall seeing at the various pet stores I frequent, I'm not sure there is a Cadillac of glass aquariums.

anibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks, that's good to know. There's a 40 gallon breeder (top fin brand) I can get for just under 100, though it seems like most people just make their own stands for those. I don't want more height from my 29 gallon, I want longer and deeper!

This is all hypothetical though, for an apartment I'd probably be best just sticking with the 29 for now as long as it works. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long to dig it out of storage.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
About heaters. I'm one of those peeps who has been using the same heaters since the 80's and most of them were in storage for 5+ years at some point in an unheated garage in Kansas (hot summers, cold winters) all the ones I have tested seem fine, although with one the numbers on top don't match the temp it creates, but as long as you have a thermometer it's stable. (it also is a non-submersible that took a quick dunk on accident so that might be it too. lol) I would give them a trial run while you cycle. THey could be good
venymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Just an update incase anyone was curious or stumbled upon this thread later after searching; the 29 gallon seems ok, the silicone that sealed the inside seemed loose at the top after first inspection, but when I finally got to look at it closer it was just some silicone that formed a sort of Y with the silicone going up the corner of the tank and connecting to the black frame. In all 4 corners it was loose, so I yanked it off, but all the stuff stuck to the glass seemed to be on there pretty well still. Haven't been able to test fill it yet since it's still below freezing outside and I need a level surface to put it on.

Haven't tested the filter (still pretty sure it's an emperor 280, it says emperor on the bottom and it's a single biowheel) or heater yet but I cleaned them well with distilled white vinegar. The eclipse 6 was actually a "regent 5" which I'm fairly positive is actually the exact same thing. The light bulb actually says eclipse on it. That thing has a bunch of spots where it looks like it's been hit, it has scratches in a pattern that seem to be on the inside of the acrylic, like stress fractures. It won't be a show aquarium at all but it seems wide and long enough to be a great quarantine tank for my small fish.

I'll be making a post about my newest problem soon, the pH where I'm moving to is about 8.6 on average =/

age, equipment, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com