Pump flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reg100

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone.
What size pump will I need for my sump . The main tank is 4ft x18 inch x20 inch. I have a vecton w8 that came with the tank but im not sure how much flow it can take.
Thanks for any help.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to put a 2 inch overflow in as advised by mr x.

A great set of advice, as he knows more about gph than anyone else I know. But some more info about this is needed before I could even attempt to run anything. I'll go over the basics though.
Basically, you want a return pump rated much higher gph than your overflow. You want as few bends as possible in your piping, mostly staying away from 90 degree angles. If you get a return pump that is, say, double the gph of your overflow you can simply install a ball valve right on the return piping. This will let you not only perfectly adjust the flow rates to match, but it has also been discussed that doing so can actually increase the life span of pumps...though this isn't something I can directly confirm.

Thanks for the advice could you tell me what gph the overflow i'm going to install will be.

Thanks would you be able to tell me what gph I'll get from the 2inch overflow.

Thanks I'll do that now.

Back
Top Bottom