Pump leaking!! please help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dspivak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium pump on my 110 gallon tank is leaking. Water is seeping through the seems in between screws and inbetween the plate the screws hold onto the main body of the pump. Anyone with any knowledge of how to fix a problem like this it would be very appreicated.

Last night i drained my filter and today im going to unhook my pump so i can take it apart and put putty in the leaking area and the screw the plate back and see if that works. My main concern is that i havent had my filter on for a day, and that my bioballs are without water. Can the bacteria on the bioballs live for a couple days without water?

Dspivak said:
Last night i drained my filter and today im going to unhook my pump so i can take it apart and put putty in the leaking area and the screw the plate back and see if that works. My main concern is that i havent had my filter on for a day, and that my bioballs are without water. Can the bacteria on the bioballs live for a couple days without water?

Why don't you put it in a bucket and add aquarium water to keep it submerged and an aerator? Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Putting them in a bucket with aquarium water is a good idea. I read somewhere that after 24 hrs the bacteria must be reactivated if allowed to dry out. I think that must take some time.

If you'll decide to put them in a bucket with aquarium water, you can add a few drops of ammonia everyday(if it will last that long) to feed the BB. Aerator will help with oxygenating the water. BB needs oxygenated water.

Well today i unhooked my pump. Put in a new o ring and putty. Tested it and it was broken. So now i have 2 damsels in my aquarium and a moray eel with no filtration for over a day now. I cant move them out of the tank, because they are to fast. My filter is drained but the section with the bioballs is still kinda moist. Now i have to buy a new pump asap! Very stressful!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom