Pump/Plumbing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minotaur

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 30G tank with a 10G fuge/sump. I would like to add a frag tank, but i am not sure if the plumbing will work.
I have very limited space, and my sump is not big enough for another pump. I will have to add an external one. My fuge/sump is a 10G glass tank. The closest that i can put the pump to the tank is about 4 feet. Then it is about another 4 or 5 feet to dump into the frag tank.
The attached pic may help. The top part is my current setup, and the bottom is what I think I need to do.
Will this setup work? If so, what kind of pump will I need?
Thanks for any help

Attachments

• salt_frag_tank_setup_191.jpg
    salt_frag_tank_setup_191.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 49
Only problem I see is if you want to use an external pump to move water from the sump to the fuge, how are you getting the water to the pump? You need to build some kind of pvc hang on siphon...sort of like people use on closed loops. http://www.melevsreef.com/closedloop.html
Or drill the sump for a bulkhead.

I was afraid that was going to be the case.
Drilling the sump is not an option and I dont have the room behind the tank/sump/fuge to build a closed loop.
Guess I will just have to scrap that idea until I upgrade to a 90 gallon in 2009 (and plan better).
Thanks anyway!

Attachments

• dsc00718_597.jpg
    dsc00718_597.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 37
You don't need to build the whole closed loop thing, just the intake from the tank to the pump. Then plumb the pump to the frag tank.

You can put a T on it and valves to control the flow going to each tank, but you will more than likely have to get a bigger pump. You will lose about 50% of the gph from the pump since you will adding about 50% more head pressure.

Back
Top Bottom